2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Custom Font Bevel Reflect Version 1.00 - 1.06

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2017 Post(s)

Custom Font Bevel Reflect Version 1.00 - 1.06

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 05 Dec 2020, 09:46

Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect_BRL_1_6_V_106.py #
(43.47 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
New version to check loaded emaps for over-large transparent borders - general improvements including new defaults.

Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect_BRL_1_6_V_105.py #
(41.77 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
New version to add an extra 'Emap to character' option called 'Random sequence'.

Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect_BRL_1_6_V_104.py #
(40.67 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

New version to choose from all emaps (not just the first five) when using random emap option.

Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect_BRL_1_6_V_103.py #
(40.68 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Fixes major bug on SamJ Portable and perhaps on other systems. :hammer_head: :hammer_head:

Fixes wrongly applied trimming option. :hammer_head:

Resources.zip #
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
PDF version of this help guide:
Custom-Font-Bevel-Reflect-Version-1-00.pdf #
(715.47 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
57.jpg
57.jpg # (39.13 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Download the filter and extract it, if necessary, before saving it to your user plug-in folder. If you do not already have the required MLBevelReflect2 Plug-in, it can be downloaded using the links at GimpScripts.com. Follow this link to the relevant GimpScripts page:

https://www.gimpscripts.net/search?q=Bevel+Reflect+Logo

The accompanying zipped Resources folder contains two tester part custom font files and two Gimp xcf files, each containing five emap image layers, for you to experiment with: One of the custom font files also contains accented characters. Unzip the folder and save the resources you want to use to a location of your choice:

The plug-in is a Python version of GnuTux’s amazing Bevel Reflect Logo Script (Version 1.6), with additional options for applying BRL to custom font characters. The main advantage of using this version instead of the initial release is the increase in speed of use.

Although nothing can be done to speed up the rendering operation carried out by the MLBevelReflect2 plug-in, the creation or loading of the emaps is now done only once at the start of the filter workflow. Now, for example, a 50 character custom font file sees an increase in speed, on my machine, from 17 mins 11 secs to 10 mins 22 secs (approx times); this is with the default filter settings.

I have taken the opportunity to add a couple of further options related to custom font making.

Call up the filter from:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font Bevel Reflect 1.6 V1.00...

The filter dialog, with the original GnuTux options highlighted in a red box and the options new to this version highlighted in blue.
dialog_V100_GnuTux_Options.jpg
dialog_V100_GnuTux_Options.jpg # (93.37 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The previous version introduced desaturation options for applying BRL highlights to existing custom font faces and the option to trim a set number of pixels from characters.

You can now apply emaps in different ways: In a random way or by character grouping. You can do this both by generating emaps from your chosen gradient or colour or by loading a file containing a number of emaps. The plug-in can now load xcf files, but only the first five layers will be used to generate emaps. Obviously it only makes sense to use a file consisting of spherical emap layers.

You can now also save any plug-in generated emaps as a new image in order to re-save them for future use.

Applying emaps to characters

The default option is to apply a single emap to the complete set of characters in a custom font file. It is no longer necessary to use a grey coloured font face – white faces now work perfectly well. If you choose not to use emaps from a saved file, the filter will generate its own set of emaps; these will usually differ quite subtly from each other but can add a little variation to your characters.

You can still load a png emap, but greater contrast can be obtained by loading a set of saved emaps (an xcf file) consisting of up to five different layers. I have provided a couple of examples in the accompanying resource folder for you to play with.
By_Char_Grouping_Emap_Stack.JPG
By_Char_Grouping_Emap_Stack.JPG # (30.5 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The single emap option produces characters by using the first (topmost) emap in the layer stack.
Accented_Tester_Single.jpg
Accented_Tester_Single.jpg # (54.98 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The random emap option produces characters from all the emaps (or from the top five layers) in the layer stack.
Accented_Tester_Random.jpg
Accented_Tester_Random.jpg # (50.67 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The character grouping option assigns a layer to those characters in upper-case, lower-case, punctuation, number and other groups.
Accented_Tester_Char_Groups.jpg
Accented_Tester_Char_Groups.jpg # (50.07 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
The vowel – consonant group uses the first three emaps to render characters.
Accented_Tester_Vowel_Groups.jpg
Accented_Tester_Vowel_Groups.jpg # (51.71 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Saving generated emaps

This option provides an opportunity to save your emaps from the layers copied to a new image, like those below, generated from a rainbow coloured gradient.
From_Gradient_Emaps.JPG
From_Gradient_Emaps.JPG # (39.47 KiB) Viewed 7519 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
As always, have fun! (Why else would you use Gimp?)
Last edited by skinnyhouse on 18 Dec 2020, 16:03, edited 7 times in total.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
908 Post(s)

Post#2 by Krikor » 05 Dec 2020, 13:18

Hi Skinnyhouse,

I'm excited about this py version of BRL1.6
Unfortunately on the first attempt there was an error.
BRL16pyTEST01.png
Krikor - BRL1.6py error
BRL16pyTEST01.png # (124.39 KiB) Viewed 7510 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Spoiler:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Gimp21021\Gimp-2.10.21_Portable-32-64bit-Win\Gimp-2.10.21_Portable-32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\python/gimpfu.py", line 740, in response
dialog.res = run_script(params)
File "D:\Gimp21021\Gimp-2.10.21_Portable-32-64bit-Win\Gimp-2.10.21_Portable-32-64bit-Win\lib\gimp\2.0\python/gimpfu.py", line 361, in run_script
return apply(function, params)
File "D:\Gimp02Pastas\EstoqueGimp\Scripts\ScriptsAtivos\PluginsUso\Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect_BRL_1_6_V_100.py", line 344, in do_stuff
keep_layers, trim_value, desaturate_option, random_number, emap_drawable)
File "D:\Gimp02Pastas\EstoqueGimp\Scripts\ScriptsAtivos\PluginsUso\Custom_Font_Bevel_Reflect_BRL_1_6_V_100.py", line 525, in proc_bevel_reflect
pdb.plug_in_gauss(image, bumpmap_layer, blur_radius, blur_radius, 1) # Blur Edge
RuntimeError: calling error
I don't know if I used the plugin correctly. Basically I used the default values for Slope Options - Round1 Bevel, and selected the xcf available in Resources in the Spherical Emap option (emap/xcf) - 5_Colour_emaps.xcf and also selected the Custom Font from the Resources folder - Sturdy_9_Char_Tester.xcf

The plugin before generating the error and stop still produced a result for one of the characters.
Sturdy_9_Char_Tester002.png
Krikor - BRL1.6py tests
Sturdy_9_Char_Tester002.png # (109.96 KiB) Viewed 7510 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Anyway congratulations on the py version, I hope I can use it full steam soon!

P.S:

An inaccuracy:
In the option Emap to character options, I had selected - Vowel / consonants grouping emaps, and not the default Single emap.

Now I tried again with the Random emap option, again getting an error in the plugin execution.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2017 Post(s)

Post#3 by skinnyhouse » 05 Dec 2020, 13:53

I wonder which Gimp portable and version you use Krikor?

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
908 Post(s)

Post#4 by Krikor » 05 Dec 2020, 14:17

skinnyhouse wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 13:53
I wonder which Gimp portable and version you use Krikor?
Samj's portable 2.10.21

I ran BRL1.6.scm with the same .xcf (Sturdy_9_Char_Tester.xcf) using an emap, and everything is ok!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2017 Post(s)

Post#5 by skinnyhouse » 05 Dec 2020, 14:55

Krikor:

Issabella also had an issue with the last version of the filter using a version of SamJ's portable.

I have SamJ's portable Gimp version 2.10.23 on Windows 64 Home Ed and it runs without errors.

Sorry about that!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
5th Place
2017 Post(s)

Post#6 by skinnyhouse » 05 Dec 2020, 15:11

Oh and I have spotted a little mistake - Version 1.01 is up and running though.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
908 Post(s)

Post#7 by Krikor » 05 Dec 2020, 15:30

The strange thing is that in all the attempts I have made so far, the plugin always works for the # character.
Always apply a BRL to the # character, whether choosing an emap via .png or via .xcf

After generating the BRL on the character #, an error message appears and the plugin is on hold. Then I cancel the plugin.
BRL16pyTEST07.png
Krikor - another test
BRL16pyTEST07.png # (34.78 KiB) Viewed 7494 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
skinnyhouse wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 14:55
Krikor:

Issabella also had an issue with the last version of the filter using a version of SamJ's portable.

I have SamJ's portable Gimp version 2.10.23 on Windows 64 Home Ed and it runs without errors.

Sorry about that!
Gimp updates have really been a headache since I started with version 2.10.

On the one hand, expectations for improvements with the new versions, on the other, bugs and incompatibilities with scripts / plugins that previously worked.

I parked with version 2.10.21 after installing almost every new version after the 2.10 era.

I will keep an eye out for new updates from Samj and evaluate a new update. But I think that soon I will not change my version, certainly not in 2020.

I see Gimpers still using version 2.8 and satisfied with that.

If it is not possible to use BRL 1.6PY with my version, ok, I know that sometime in 2021 I will have a version suitable for that!

Skinnyhouse, thx for everything!

Issabella
Script Tester
3rd Place
3510 Post(s)

Post#8 by Issabella » 05 Dec 2020, 21:14

Sorry, Skinnyhouse. I have tried it many times and always it stops at the same point. After having done the first letter. It seems like the same problem I had and you got to solve it.
Krikor, I feel like you.
I thank you so much hard work, Skinnyhouse. :thank_you:
Attachments
it stops after making the first letter.jpg
it stops after making the first letter.jpg # (56.87 KiB) Viewed 7482 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Screenshot 2020-12-05 133732.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-05 133732.jpg # (52.24 KiB) Viewed 7482 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
908 Post(s)

Post#9 by Krikor » 05 Dec 2020, 21:53

Hi Issa,
But your version would not be the same as Skinnyhouse's; 2.10.23?

I tried the version 'Custom Font Bevel Reflect 1.6 V 1.01' but the errors continue.

Issabella
Script Tester
3rd Place
3510 Post(s)

Post#10 by Issabella » 06 Dec 2020, 06:58

I continue having problems with it. It stops after getting the first item. I tried Custom Font Bevel Reflect 1.6 V1.01, too
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-12-06 075329.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-06 075329.jpg # (59.8 KiB) Viewed 7466 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Screenshot 2020-12-06 075449.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-06 075449.jpg # (79.93 KiB) Viewed 7466 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic