2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Playing Card Plugin Issue in 2.10.22

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Playing Card Plugin Issue in 2.10.22

Post#1 by CtrlAltDel » 17 Oct 2020, 09:52

Tim, I've really enjoyed using your Playing Cards plugin; it is great. In the latest Gimp 2.10.22, there seems to be a problem with it and wanted to ask you if you were still able to use it. For me, it throws up this:

error upon executing it. Is this something that is on my end or do you know if anyone else is experiencing this also?

playing_card version 7
GIMP Learn rocks...

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#2 by rich2005 » 17 Oct 2020, 11:38

It is not Tin's script, it is the Gimp appimage-with-plugins that includes the Nufraw plugin for importing RAW images. This unfortunately breaks the Gimp SVG file import.

If it was anything other than the portable version you can easily disable the Nufraw plugin by changing the permissions.
Two solutions:
1. Download and use the basic-without-plugins appimage for using the playing-card plugin. It will use the same user profile as the with-plugins-version.
2. Disable the Nufraw plugin. Not so easy. Preferences does not work for this. Get this old pre-Gimp-2.10 version of Nufraw. Unzip it and put it in the appimage user folder /.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/ This will supercede the original plugin and also "break it" allowing svg import to work.

Attachments
nufraw-gimp.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#3 by CtrlAltDel » 17 Oct 2020, 23:40

Thanks, Rich, you always know what is going on. I will take your suggestion to use the no plugins AppImage. It may be better anyway. Right now, the AppImage with plugins still has GMIC to a point where only about half the plugins work correctly. You provided me with an older version of GMIC to put in the plugins folder to override that just to get GMIC to work correctly.

I'll download the newest version of GMIC and use the no plugins AppImage and that will fix the issue with the Playing Cards plugin too.
GIMP Learn rocks...

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#4 by CtrlAltDel » 18 Oct 2020, 06:37

Rich, I tried the latest No Plugins AppImage and the Playing Cards plugin worked correctly, as you stated that it would. All other plugins that I have also worked correctly, except for one.

I d/l'ed the latest 2.9.2 Gmic plugin, to go with the new AppImage, and now I get an error message each time I use it.

Code: Select all

GIMP Error
Plug-in crashed: "gmic_gimp_qt-292"
(/home/j/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt-292)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.
It still works and the individual Gmic plugins perform their functions correctly but, upon hitting apply, the above error message appears. It does it for every one of them I've tried and I've tried about 10.

I realize that this is a sort of vague error message. If you can tell me where to perhaps find any more detailed information on it, I'd be glad to post it. So far, I've tried deleting all the contents of the GIMP-APPIMAGE folder and the Gmic and Greyc folder and placing just the Gmic 2.9.2 plugin back in the empty plugin folder after opening Gimp and regenerating all the deleted folders.

I did all of this thinking maybe some old file somewhere wasn't playing right with the new AppImage. It didn't work. Gmic still gives the same error after each attempt, although the filters do work.

I've also tried older versions of Gmic.

To make a long story short, I've got GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.23-20201008-x86_64.AppImage (No Plugins) and gmic_2.9.2_gimp2.10_ubuntu_focal_amd64 to match the Linux Mint 20 OS I'm using and Gmic and Gimp aren't working together.
GIMP Learn rocks...

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#5 by rich2005 » 18 Oct 2020, 10:18

There is also a problem with the built-in gimp_gmic_qt plugin. Version 2.9.2 not that old, from beginning of July but updating the filters breaks many of them. Also problems with the gmic site focal plugin which does not register.

This a newer version: gimp_gmic_qt 2.9.3 It has been tried in Mint 20.
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... 9Jbj6Y6rwV
download / unzip / put in appimage user profile along with the nufraw plugin.

Always difficult to solve problems with someone elses installation. Best I can offer is this before / after comparison https://youtu.be/q4R1lBMDNXI duration 3 minutes. Fortunately Tins playing card plugin is easy to find ;)

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#6 by CtrlAltDel » 18 Oct 2020, 13:07

rich2005 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 10:18
There is also a problem with the built-in gimp_gmic_qt plugin. Version 2.9.2 not that old, from beginning of July but updating the filters breaks many of them. Also problems with the gmic site focal plugin which does not register.

This a newer version: gimp_gmic_qt 2.9.3 It has been tried in Mint 20.
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... 9Jbj6Y6rwV
download / unzip / put in appimage user profile along with the nufraw plugin.

Always difficult to solve problems with someone elses installation. Best I can offer is this before / after comparison https://youtu.be/q4R1lBMDNXI duration 3 minutes. Fortunately Tins playing card plugin is easy to find ;)

I sincerely wish to thank you, Rich, for taking the time to make that video for me. Thanks to you, I do have a fully functional Gimp AppImage 2.10.23 (With Plugins). I overrode the built in Gmic plugin with the gmic_gimp_qt-293 plugin you provide by placing it in the plugins folder. Now I get no error messages with Gmic.

I also took the advice you offered of placing nufraw-gimp in the plugins folder to break the included nufraw and now the Playing Cards plugin works. I should have placed a link to that particular plugin in my post, my mistake on that.

It will be great when all the parts of the AppImages work again without having to apply all these fixes. Hopefully they will get it back like it was some day soon. With Gimp AppImage 2.10.19, which wasn't that long ago, everything worked out of the box.

I can't do anything with the No Plugins AppImage and Gmic even while using your provided gmic_gimp_qt-292 or gmic_gimp_qt-293. It throws up the errors but, it's no big deal. I've decided against using that one now that I've got the With Plugins latest version working correctly.

Just out of curiosity, are the gmic files you are providing being modified by you to be smaller in size than the ones from the Gmic site? Your files are 6.7MB and the ones from Gmic.eu, here:

https://www.fosshub.com/GMIC.html?dwl=g ... _amd64.zip

are 7.8MB in size.
GIMP Learn rocks...

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#7 by rich2005 » 18 Oct 2020, 13:38

You need all the gimp_gmic_qt dependencies, QT5 + a raft of others for the gmic plugin to work, these are missing from the vanilla appimage-without-plugins

The appimage is not made in 'buntu / Mint. It uses (I think) mainly Gentoo with additional packages. All about the Gimp developers making it difficult to keep on top of package versions. This is one of the reasons why the gmic 'focal' plugin from gmic.eu is non-working for the appimage.

The gimp_gmic_qt plugin is one of mine, compiled using older 'buntu 18.04 / Mint 19 files, luckily a little more compatible with the appimage.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP