2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

My latest Luminosity Masks Script

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
david
Forum Member

My latest Luminosity Masks Script

Post#1 by david » 01 Sep 2020, 10:28

In my previous Luminosity Masks script (david2_lum_mask.py) I added a routine to equalize the channel used for creating masks, so that it would be more effective for low-contrast images. But there was still a problem in that the middle channels covered a wide part of the brightness spectrum and the successive lighter and darker channels became narrower and narrower.

In my latest experimental version I have added a curve to largely eliminate the difference in "spread" between the channels. (Only 8 channels at present)

The new version is: davidx_lum_mask.py. It will be found under "Python-Fu" as "Davidx Luminosity Masks...".

I created this with the help of Ofnuts to sort out my problems and of course not forgetting Tim who programmed the original python routine for me.

I hope people will download this, try it, and give me feedback as to its usefullness.

david.
lum_mask_dm.py
(16.2 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
(Latest version 05 September 2020)

EDIT: 05 September 2020. Updated so that the spline curve is applied before desaturating the mask layer.
Now removes any pre-existing selection,
Last edited by david on 05 Sep 2020, 12:57, edited 3 times in total.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#2 by Issabella » 02 Sep 2020, 08:11

Thank you so much David. I have your both plug-ins LMSs. :thank_you:
I know that they are a great help to correct specific parts of a photo.
I'd love to know how you manage the right layer to correct for example a sky zone which is too dark, or too light.
I don't have the concept of the layers and masks correctly learned and I act by intuition.
Could you help me a bit with it? Thanks a lot, David.
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

david
Forum Member

Post#3 by david » 02 Sep 2020, 09:01

Issabella,

When I use the Luminosity Masks it is often by trial and error! Although I usually have an idea of which layer contains the area I wish to adjust.

To see the actual region which is affected by a particular mask, you can right-click on the mask and select Show Layer Mask. (Screenshot1)
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 1.png (517.56 KiB) Viewed 866 times
The white areas are the ones that are adjustable when the layer is selected (not the mask).
If it is difficult to see which are the white areas, you can switch off the layers above the one of interest. (Screenshot2)
Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 2.png (268.09 KiB) Viewed 866 times
I hope this is of help.
david.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#4 by Issabella » 02 Sep 2020, 13:51

Thank you so much David for your answer and help. I suppose that I must practice more. But your explanation has helped me and I have seen each mask layer the zone to be affected. :thank_you:
Issabella

david
Forum Member

Post#5 by david » 03 Sep 2020, 16:27

I have done a major revision of my experimental Luminosity Mask plugin in the first post of this thread (davidx_lum_mask.py).

It now has the option to select 4, 6, 8, or 10 masked layers. It deletes the temporary channels as soon as they are no longer required - hopefully reducing the memory requirements. It still retains the equalisation to increase its usefulness for low-contrast images and the curve to equalize the spread of brightness in the masks. The layer names have become more sensible!

Feedback and suggestions are most welcome.

david.

EDIT: 05 September 2020. davidx_lum_mask.py version removed - latest version in #1 of this thread.
Last edited by david on 05 Sep 2020, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 03 Sep 2020, 21:21

Hi David,

It is good to see that you are determined to keep the subject of luminosity masks up to date. So, even with new versions of Gimp more and more plugins and scripts seem to lose functionality (compatibility), at least it is comforting to know that there will be possible to use luminosity masks for many new versions of Gimp yet.

I have installed 3 versions of your luminosity masks scripts, David1, Davidx and now Masks DM.
I also have the version of Saulgoode and Ofnuts, the latter my favorite.

I like the way the version of Saulgood presents itself, via channels, it makes the layer window cleaner.

The way in which the David version arranges all the masks in the layer window on the other hand makes it much easier to choose which mask to select.

In fact, this option is something I miss in the version of Ofnuts. With 33 masks, choosing the most suitable for each image requires me to open many one by one.

Comparing the Davi1, Davidx and L. Masks DM versions, it seemed to me that this last version is better adjusted, although I will always open the 10 masks and I saw no use in the option of opening 4, 6, 8 or 10 masks. In fact it even seemed to me that it made the plugin slower compared to previous versions that was just clicking and already having the masks.

Thank you for keeping the plugin constantly updated!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

david
Forum Member

Post#7 by david » 03 Sep 2020, 23:10

Krikor,

Thank you for your comments. They are very useful to indicate the best way to develop the program.

I have kept to the idea that the masked channels should be independent of each other, but tried to equalise the spread between the channels with the curve (an idea stolen from Ofnuts!). I have kept the equalise routine to make it more effective for low contrast images.

Because the process starts with a binary division of the spectrum it necessitates an even number of channels.

The option of 4, 6, 8, or 10 layers was to see if there was any advantage in the circumstance where I needed to make the adjustment to a broader region. 4 will probably never be necessary and I may well remove that option. (It was also partly to check the programming sequence.)

I have not done any checks of timing, but I expect that with 10 masked layers it will be slightly slower than the davidx version with only eight, However, with a selection of 4 or 6, I would expect it to be quicker.

If you have any further suggestions or comments they will be most welcome.

david.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#8 by Issabella » 04 Sep 2020, 06:14

Hi David, your new script makes me the election of the layers much easier. In fact, I'm getting the hang of it. Of course, I'll continue my practice because it is a really useful tool in photography. I'm going to be a few days out of my computer but I'll take a lot of photos to practice your LMSs.
Issabella

david
Forum Member

Post#9 by david » 04 Sep 2020, 10:39

Issabella,
I'm glad that the LM script is of use to you.
I look forward to seeing some of your new beautiful photographs for all of us to play with!
david.

david
Forum Member

Post#10 by david » 05 Sep 2020, 13:09

Yet another revision!
I discovered what may be an error in the previous versions. Also changed to remove any pre-existing selection.

The latest version (lum_mask_dm.py) is now in #1 of this thread.

david.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP