2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Apply and Save/Load Preset Script for Layer Effects (Experimental)

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Re: Apply and Save/Load Preset Script for Layer Effects (Experimental)

Post#51 by rich2005 » 05 Jan 2021, 18:09

I didn't quite understand what you meant about "check writing permissions to wherever you have Gimp installed" - I thought that permissions were just for Linux.
I read that with the recent Windows updates, Gimp has problems writing to USB disks. Maybe not in your case.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#52 by Krikor » 05 Jan 2021, 19:19

After several interruptions I was finally able to return to where I had stopped almost an hour ago.
I just needed to paste the plugins in the folder and restart the gimp.

Result:
Untitled008.png
Krikor - layerfx_preset ok in laptop
Untitled008.png # (39.28 KiB) Viewed 1280 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
I haven't tested anything yet, just registering that the menus appear correctly after a first installation.

Now I will do more tests, creating and loading presets and seeing if everything will work well or if it will break down again after some executions.

Detail:
I'm using exactly the same plugins, in the same folders, with the same version of Gimp that gave a problem on the PC.

rich2005 wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:09
I didn't quite understand what you meant about "check writing permissions to wherever you have Gimp installed" - I thought that permissions were just for Linux.
I read that with the recent Windows updates, Gimp has problems writing to USB disks. Maybe not in your case.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be my case, but if it is, I have no idea how to give the permissions. Perhaps a pop-up window appears asking for authorization...
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#53 by Krikor » 05 Jan 2021, 22:12

Tim, rich2005,

Definitely the problem regarding the lack of menus is related to the .txt files created to store the presets. - inner_glow.txt, drop_shadow.txt, etc.

Nidhogg had already commented (in GC) on the problems with editing these files.
"I found an annoyance. If you edit any of the setting files you will get" layerfx_presets.py has messed the internal state blahblah ... "
and the only thing to fix it, is to delete the corresponding setting file." - Nidhogg
In fact, my problems started when I tried to include a change in one of the files, as I reported in post #41
I then decided to check the same preset with a small change:

From this:
►RoboComp | (image, layer, 'FG to Transparent', 70.0, 0, 20.0, 23, 12.0, 8.0, False, False)

For this:
► RoboComp002 | (image, layer, (206,40,40), 70.0, 0, 20.0, 23, 12.0, 8.0, False, False)

But it was only as far as I could keep testing the plugin. :fb_angry:

After the error appears:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////////////////////////////
GIMP Error
Crashed plug-in: "layerfx_presets.py"
(C: \ Users \ ... \ layerfx_presets.py)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I couldn't use the plugin anymore. I restarted Gimp once and nothing. :gaah:
But now it's easy to make the menus appear, just delete the files in the Bin folder (where they are created (at least in my portable Gimp) et voilà!

The problem is that if I try to paste the removed .txt files again, it doesn't work!

There is no point in having the menus if we cannot use them (access the .txt files).
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#54 by Krikor » 30 Mar 2021, 17:38

I didn't give up, and now I have everything working correctly. :yes:

I added a Preset at https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php ... 515#p35515

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic